Start your summer off with this light Wholemeal Carrot Squares!
Cook time: 30 – 40 mins
- 225g/8oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
- 1 tsp Odlums Bread Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 175g/6oz Shamrock Light Muscovado Sugar
- 200ml/7fl oz Sunflower Oil
- 200g/7oz Coarsely Grated Carrot
- 2 tsp Goodall’s Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Goodall’s Ground Nutmeg
- 60g Shamrock Chopped Walnuts
- 125g/4oz Low Fat Cream Cheese
- 75g/3oz Butter (room temperature)
- 75g/3oz Icing Sugar
- 20g Shamrock Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Grease and base line a 23cms/9″ square tin.
- Put the eggs, oil and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Add the carrot and mix well.
- Next, stir in the flour, bread soda (sieved) and spices. Finally mix in the 60g walnuts.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 minutes until nicely risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to get cold in the tin, then, turn onto a wire tray.
- Make the topping by putting the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar into a bowl and beat until really smooth.
- When cake is completely cold, spread with the topping, smooth over with a fork and leave to set. Cut into squares and sprinkle the remaining walnuts on top of each square. Enjoy!